December 16, 2009

The Unexpected



Dad and me at our favorite place in the world: the beach

When I haphazardly launched this blog in January 2009, I had no grand plan. I started blogging with only a couple ideas. First of all, I would focus on writing and photographing my crafty endeavors. Secondly, I would keep an upbeat, kind of Pollyannaish tone.

My first idea sort of undid itself. Even though I only have a handful of blog posts under my belt, I see a clear trend of food/eating as a subject matter. That is O.K. - food is a fine thing about which to write. I mean everybody has to eat!

It is my second self-imposed directive that has prevented me from neglecting my blog for so long. The happy tone that I wanted to use in this blog has been temporarily silenced. My family and I were abruptly thrown into the dark dark world of grief and mourning on May 18. My dad unexpectedly died. There was no warning, there were no signs that he had a sick heart.

During the summer I thought that I was ready to write about the lighter parts of life. As a matter of fact, I thought it would provide a good escape from my grief-laden world. I had taken a slew of pretty photos and had plenty of happy/beautiful/tasty things I would have loved to share on this blog. But, I had no desire to do so. I thought that waxing on about the breathtaking beach in Florida or the fabulous food in New Orleans (both of which I experienced in the second half of 2009)would be hollow - if not to others, at least to myself.

There are no two ways about it, I can not completely flex my creative muscle without acknowledging the emotional havoc I have been going through since May. I really really want to continue blogging. I have no intention of turning my blog into a cyber-therapy session. And, anyway, right now my grief is too raw and too intimate to share.


Hopefully, I will be back better than ever, sharing my latest culinary adventure or a paperlicious-crafty-wonderthing.

1 comment:

  1. Just went on to check if you'd been blogging while at the library. I enjoyed the posts about the ice cream and the paper chandelier... but loved this pic. Treasure the memories and hold him close, for he is with you always... just not close enough! k

    ReplyDelete


"You can't always get what you want. But, if you try, sometimes, you get what you need."

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
A Few of my Favorite Things Tea*Chocolate* Lake Michigan in Leelanau County*Vintage Crepe Paper Crafts*Prince circa 1980's*Pork*California Redwoods*Outsider Art*The Smell of Lilacs and Summer Rain*Burlap*Food prepared from scratch*The Color RED*Hats